Dear Dale,

The PDB-format is, as far as I can see, incapable of containing all the
information that you can store in an .ins-file used for shelxl refinement, so
the only way one could recreate the model would be to also deposit the .ins-file
anyhow, which solves the problem of the riding hydrogens altogether (and much
more).

The pdbe.org, for example allows to upload auxiliary files and in my opinion the
uploading of the final .ins-file (not the .res-file!) should be made mandatory
in the case of shelxl refinement.

Since coot has now become utterly convenient even for shelxl refinement, there
is no reason one should not deposit the .ins-file ([flame] and the PDB-file
probably for legacy reasons [/flame]).

Tim

Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie