Hi Ian,

Am 19.09.10 15:25, schrieb Ian Tickle:
Hi Florian,

Tight NCS restraints or NCS constraints (they are essentially the same
thing in effect if not in implementation) both reduce the effective
parameter count on a 1-for-1 basis.

Restraints should not be considered as being added to the pool of
X-ray observations in the calculation of the obs/param ratio, simply
because restraints and X-ray observations can in no way be regarded as
interchangeable (increasing the no of restraints by N is not
equivalent to increasing the no of reflections by N).  This becomes
apparent when you try to compute the expected Rfree: the effective
contribution of the restraints has to be subtracted from the parameter
count, not added to the observation count.

I always understood the difference between constraints and restraints such, that a constraint reduces the number of parameters by fixing certain parameters, whereas restraints are target values for parameters and as such can be counted as observations, similarly to the Fobs, which are target values for the Fcalc (although with different weights). I don't see what is wrong with this view. Do I misunderstand something?

Best regards,

Dirk.

The complication is that a 'weak' restraint is equivalent to less than
1 parameter (I call it the 'effective no of restraints': it can be
calculated from the chi-squared for the restraint).  Obviously no
restraint is equivalent no parameter, so you can think of it as a
continuous sliding scale from no restraint (effective contribution to
be subtracted from parameter count = 0) through weak restraint (0<
contribution<  1) through tight restraint (count ~=1) to constraint
(count = 1).

Cheers

-- Ian

On Sat, Sep 18, 2010 at 9:23 PM, Florian Schmitzberger