Different numbers of columns wont stop CAD working, but if you have the any occurence of the same labels in either file this will produce an error mesage - eg Label FreeRflag found twice..

And if you have labelled both data sets as Fnew or some such uninformative label, then again you will have this problem.

However maybe as Phil suggests you dont want a file with
H K L F2.0 etc F1.9Etc
But you really want to merge the two sets of measurements into a single data set?

Eleanor

jai mohan wrote:

Dear all crystallographers, Recently I have collected two data sets from two different crystals, first data at 2.6A and second is at 1.9A, the datasets were isomorphous. I tried to merge the two dataset as a single MTZ file using CAD (CCP4i), but it is unsuccessful, i hope that the error starts from the column label of the data sets. The first data has 13 and second data has 18 columns. Please guide me how do i select the column labels. Need all of your valuable suggestion and advice. regards
Jai