So let's say I am back in the good old days before computers,
hand-calculating the MIR phase of my first reflection--would I just
set that phase to zero, and go from there, i.e. that wave will
define/emanate from the origin? And why should I choose f000 over f010
or whatever else? Since I have no access to f000 experimentally, isn't
it strange to define its phase as 0 rather than some other reflection?

JPK