So let's say I am back in the good old days before computers,
hand-calculating the MIR phase of my first reflection--would I just
set that phase to zero, and go from there, i.e. that wave will
define/emanate from the origin?
--------
I do not think this could be done to get the origin correctly defined (in most cases),
if good old ways were used as did in the good old days.  There are many
restrictions on the definition on origins (space group-, actually,
symmetry-dependent), and a simple setting-it-to-0 on phase angle will cause, or at least complicates the problem (also see below)-----this could be imagined from
the reverse way.

And why should I choose f000 over f010
or whatever else? Since I have no access to f000 experimentally, isn't
it strange to define its phase as 0 rather than some other reflection?
--------
The definition is not a simple "setting it to 0". It comes from the origin of phases problem. (000) reflection is the sum of the total electrons (TE) in the unit cell, based on this physical/crystallographic meaning, the (000) phase angle gets to be 0 (otherwise the sum will be less than TE due to at least one cos(non-0)). There is no point a shift on this value is applied, but a counter balance for this shift will have to be applied during the calculation later if a shift had been applied.
--------no any merits for this!

Lijun

JPK