Dear Ethan,

Just answering your last remarks,

very many years ago I've done tests (unpublished) where I tried to estimate the
magnitudes Fbulk and PHASES Pbulk for the reflections due to bulk solvent. It
came out that :
- for high-resolution reflections the magnitudes are small (everybody knows)
and phases are irrelevant to phases of F(atomic model)
- for very low resolution reflections  Fbulk are practically proportional to
F(atomic model), and the phases are different by pi (as everybody knows), as it
should be from the Babinet principle; so it works well here, say at resolution
lower than 20 A (the tests were done with a middle-size protein experimental
data)
- however for reflections of the intermediate resolution say, 10-15A, Fbulk are
already comparable in size with F(atomic model) but Pbulk are irrelevant to
PHASES(atomic model); That means that at such intemediate resolution generating
Fbulk, Pbulk by the Babinet principle is not a good idea.

Obviously, my tests were not exhaustive, imperfect etc. However I think the
results seem to be logical.

Also working much later with Andrey Fokine we saw quite physical values for the
parameters of a flat-mask model while for the Babinet-based  bulk-solvent model
Glykos & Kokkinidis (Acta Cryst D, 2000 ? I do not remember by hard) did not
see and system. This also makes an indirect point for the flat-mask model.

In that sens, the flat-mask model uses a more advanced information. Again, I
think nobody claims that this model is perfect ; I hope a better model may be
suggested with time.

Best regards,

Sacha Urzhumtsev