Hi Tim,

sorry for my late reply - I just came back to the lab.

In the Babinet bulk solvent correction, no bulk solvent phases are used, it is entirely based on amplitudes and strictly only valid if the phases of the bulk solvent are opposite to the ones of the protein. And as Sasha Urzhumtsev pointed out, this assumption is only valid at very low resolution.

The mask bulk solvent correction is a vector sum including the phases of the bulk solvent mask, which makes a difference at medium resolution (up to ~4.5 A, or so).

As far as I can see, your formulas given below do not distinguish between amplitude (modulus) and vector bulk solvent corrections.

Personally, I really don't see any physical sense in using both corrections together, except for compensating any potential scaling problems at low resolution.

If the model is basically complete and correct, the mask bulk solvent correction is usually superior to the Babinet bulk solvent correction (see, for example, my old and small CCP4 Newsletter contribution <http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/newsletters/newsletter34/bsdk_text.html>).

However, there are also good reasons for using the Babinet bulk solvent correction (it should be an option in ALL refinement programs!):
- it requires only two parameters and can be used in any case
- in rigid body refinement, the mask lags behind; here, I always use the Babinet BS correction - channels could show false positive density, because the mask left them empty - this depends heavily on the choice of radii to determine/shrink the bulk solvent mask; in such cases, I always calculate a Babinet BS correction as a control

Best regards,

Dirk.