Dear all,

I have previously used SCALA for data reduction, and in publications and
pdb depositions, reported the "Mn(I/sd)" output from SCALA for the whole
data set and for the highest resolution shell.

We now have some data that has instead been reduced using the HKL suite,
and I am confused about how to find the value that would be equivalent
to Mn(I/sd) from SCALA.  For I/Sigma(I) I've been advised by a colleague
more familiar with HKL to manually calculate from average I divided by
average error (sigma).  As pointed out in a previous ccp4bb thread, this
would give me <I>/<Sigma(I)>, which is not the same as <I/Sigma(I)>.

Two questions:

(1) Is this <I>/<Sigma(I)> what is generally reported in the literature
for data processed with the HKL suite?

(2) Since I would also like to know the Mn(I/sd) by shell anyway so that
I can compare to previous data sets, is there a way to extract this
value from the scalepack log, or is there a simple reflection file
analysis utility that could read the .sca or .mtz file to extract this
information?

Thanks for any clarifications or suggestions!
Evette

Evette S. Radisky, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
Griffin Cancer Research Building, Rm 310
4500 San Pablo Road
Jacksonville, FL 32224
(904) 953-6372