Sorry, the attachment is in here.

Doesn't look like Mg2+ at all. Distances are too long, Mg is never coordinated by amides and if it were Mg you would have seen waters around it.

Looks like tightly bound water to me.

- Dima

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM, jlliu liu <<mailto:jlliu20022...@gmail.com>jlliu20022...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

I am refining a structure and encountered a problem of modeling a difference density as water or Mg2+, and would like to hear opinions from the community. It has the following coordinations (attached): the water/Mg2+ forms salt bridge/H-bonding interaction with a carboxylate group from the ligand, it also forms salt bridge/H-bonding interaction with a Glu residue from the protein, it is also within hydrogen bonding distance to the main chain N of another protein residue. In provious publication, it was modelled as a Mg2+ and the author reasoned the dual salt-bridge stabilizes the liganding binding, also the Mg2+ is present in the protein solution for crystallization. For my case, I have no Mg2+ present in the protein buffer, also modelling it with water refines perfectly with no indication of positive difference density even at 2.0 sigma cut off. Should I modelled this density as water or as Mg2+. Your opinions are appreciated.

JL