Yes the BV method relies on summing up the 'bond valence'
contributions for each ligand co-ordinated to the metal, and comparing
the result with the formal charge on the metal ion (e.g. +2 for Mg).
This means that even if say one water that is present in the crystal
is omitted from the calculation for whatever reason (say you summed
the contributions from only 5 instead of 6 waters because you didn't
include the symmetry molecule as in the original version of WASP),
then you are likely to conclude from the result that it's not Mg even
if the distances and the octahedral co-ordination of the 5 waters that
you did include are perfect for Mg.

Obviously as George says, if the distances are inaccurate then the
computed BV contributions to the sum will be wrong and that's not good
either!  So I completely agree that it's probably wise to take the
results of applying this method with a large pinch of salt!

Cheers

-- Ian