On 1/15/2011 12:28 PM, REX PALMER wrote:
Does anyone know of a statistical breakdown of successful protein structure determinations in terms of the method used?
Rex Palmer
Birkbeck College

I think this was discussed back in April under "Proportion of MR in PDB":

https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=CCP4BB;b5186393.1004

I did a little analysis then where I manually distilled the 860 unique strings found under the "METHOD USED" entry of the PDB down into what I think are distinct "methods":
37851 MR
16435 "NULL", "N/A", or no "REMARK 200" record at all
7802 MAD/SAD
993 MIR
669 OTHER
352 SIRAS
316 MIRAS
188 AB-INITIO
88 SIR
6 RIP
2 UNCONVENTIONAL
1 UNCONVENTIANAL
1 N?
1 FIBER-DIFFRACTION
64776 total

Note, that the second most popular "method" seems to be no method at all, so I suppose that puts some large "error bars" on these numbers.

Although it is somewhat disturbing that such a large number of people didn't seem to think their "method" was worth mentioning in their PDB deposit, I don't this is because "methods" in general are considered unimportant. It is because the "method" is considered obvious. There are a lot of crystallographers out there who only know one "method". I am often amused when I witness a meeting of two crystallographers who are each shocked to learn that the other not only doesn't use their favorite computer program, but has also never heard of it!

I am willing to bet that the earliest "no method" entries (particularly the ones that lack a REMark 200 record) were probably MIR, since that was the "obvious" method to solve a structure for some time. Modern "NULL" entries seem to be mostly what I call "molecular replacement", which includes just refining from a native, etc. not necessarily running an MR search program. Or, at least, there are only ~26700 entries that explicitly state that the "method used to determine the structure" was "molecular replacement", the rest I assigned to this "bin" because the entry mentions a "starting model", etc.

In general, there is definitely confusion about nomenclature! For example some structures that claim to be "Ab-initio" are actually MAD/SAD structures. Although historically I think "Ab-initio" is supposed to be synonymous with direct-methods based structure determinations.

-James Holton
MAD Scientist