On Jan 17, 2011, at 11:46 AM, James Holton wrote:

> I am willing to bet that the earliest "no method" entries (particularly the
> ones that lack a REMark 200 record) were probably MIR, since that was the
> "obvious" method to solve a structure for some time.  Modern "NULL" entries
> seem to be mostly what I call "molecular replacement", which includes just
> refining from a native, etc.  not necessarily running an MR search program.

I was taught to refer to this method of solution as "isomorphous replacement,"
as long as the space group and/or unit cell had not changed so much that rigid
body refinement could not lower the free R-factor enough for conventional
refinement to proceed.

Diana

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Diana R. Tomchick
Associate Professor
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214B
Dallas, TX 75390-8816, U.S.A.