Hi Careina,

Are you using riding hydrogens during refinement? The default in Refmac is to use hydrogens only if
present in the input file - change this setting under the "Refinement Parameters" to
"generate all hydrogens".  This significantly helps with clashes.

Also, did you check the quality of your molecular replacement input model?  If
this model had a lot of clashes, then you are starting with the same problems
and it can be difficult to overcome.  At better than 2 ang. resolution, one of
the automated building programs (arp/warp, resolve, buccaneer, ...) should be
able to rebuild much of your model and may help with your clash problem too.

good luck,

Eric

Eric T. Larson, PhD
Biomolecular Structure Center