BS"D

Dear Nicholas,

    Three possible solutions that I have seen:

1. A sheet of stainless steel under the filling area over concrete (I think I saw that at the ESRF).

2. A "throw-away" layer of linolium that you replace every few months. Sort of like an ablation layer on a heat shield (that's what we have here in our building, but I'm not sure how well it works; the lino underneath is also cracked, but that may be due to infrequent replacement).

3. Hard flooring tiles (ceramic, granite), or just plain concrete. We have ceramic tiles under a storage dewar in our Proteomics unit, but I'm not sure how often it's refilled, so it may not get the same punishment that the area around a filling station would get.

If you find a solution I'd like to hear about it....

Harry

Can anyone recommend a floor coating that passes category 2 containment (ie not wood) that is resistant to liquid nitrogen. Ie you can fill dewars on without cracking. Various solutions our estates people have fitted have all proved unsatisfactory.
Bets wishes
Nick

Harry M. Greenblatt
Associate Staff Scientist
Dept of Structural Biology           harry.greenbl...@weizmann.ac.il
Weizmann Institute of Science        Phone:  972-8-934-3625
Rehovot, 76100                       Facsimile:   972-8-934-4159
Israel