>> Dear all,
>>
>> I found the step refine speed of wincoot is much slower than that of linux
>> coot (with the same pc). Is it normal or I need to configure something with
>> the wincoot?
>>
> There are a number of things that might explain this, for example
>
> 1) You "linux" system is intrinsically faster (using the accelerated
> graphics, I presume)
> Run the spin test to find out. (Having said that, the step refine
> function exercises
> both graphics and cpu.)

My experience is that the graphics part of Coot is usually faster on
Windows (based on some spin testing), I assume because of optimised
graphics cards/drivers (not for Coot but for gaming). However if you
dont have up to date drivers and/or a build in card this may be the
other way around.

> 1) you are not using the same version of Coot on both systems
> 2) The python and scheme extensions are not synchronised for that
> version of Coot
Initially I was inclined to blame it on python (WinCoot), however it
appears that some benchmarks say that python is faster than guile (linux
default). Nevertheless it could be differently programmed.
Overall I think it's very difficult to say as these are very different
operating systems and e.g. file access is extremely slow on windows as
it seems (to me) is stdout. Not to mention shared/static libraries etc.
So there may be a number of reasons for this observation.

Bernhard