Ideally you should rotate your crystal around the long axis during data collection. This is however easier said than done since often such crystals grow a plates with the long axis perpendicular to the plane of the plate.

As long as the long axis is more or less oriented perpendicular to the x-ray beam (+/-45 deg but depending on the "severity of the case") you will get away with it and you might even consider large oscillation ranges. For orientations with the long axis in a direction close to the X-ray beam, you will have to reduce the oscillation range, perhaps even to 0.1deg to avoid excessive spot overlap. Here things depend heavily on mosaicity, which should be low (preferably < 0.2 deg). Otherwise spots may always overlap, even on still images.

Very often (in my experience at least) crystals with one particularly long axis have high symmetry, and collecting a large wedge covering the "good" orientations can be sufficient. Of course I don't know if you are that lucky. If you are not sure which part to collect, collect at least 180 deg to be sure you covered the whole unique part of reciprocal space.

BTW, you didn't say what is "long". My post extreme case until now was P3121 with a=b= 50, c = 360 and this resulted in very good 2.4 A data from a rystal with mosaicity 0.1-0.15. Crystals with mosiacity around 1.0 deg were useless because of too much overlap.

Remy