Dear Ramanuj Banerjee,

from the attached picture it is difficult to make out N- and C-terminus of your
protein and it looks like two closed molecules intertwined- which would indeed
be very surprising.

However, if you think there is space for the molecules to form such a homodimer
(either in solution or upon formation of the crystal), why should it not be
possible? It seems like a beautiful conformation.

Cheers, Tim

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 08:37:29AM +0100, Ramanuj Banerjee wrote:
> Dear All,
>         I have solved a protein structure (experimentally phased) with 1
> molecule in
> the asymmetric unit at 2.22 A (high resolution). The present R factor is .22
> and R free .27 with Ramachandran favoured >98% and R and R free are
> decreasing with refinement.The problem is: when the pdb is opened in pymol
> and symmetry mates generated, the upper part of the molecule shows to be
> intertwined with the symmetry molecule (attached .jpg), but there are no
> clashes in between the two.The electron density is so very fine that no
> alternative choices of chain flow are available.All the processes starting
> from phasing and refinement have been done in Phenix.Is such a thing
> possible ?

Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie
Tammannstr. 4