Don't forget to do seeding with the native crystals: it's often more about
nucleation than growth. Phx

Sent from tiny silly touch screen

----- Reply message -----
From: "Frederic VELLIEUX" <frederic.velli...@orange.fr>
Date: Mon, Jun 13, 2011 07:37
Subject: [ccp4bb] Fwd: Regarding Sel-Met containing proteing crystallisation
To: "CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK" <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>

I've had exactly the same with an enzyme from Trypanosoma brucei, native enzyme
gives ca. 2 A data, a search around the crystallization conditions for the
Se-Met
enzyme returns absolutely nothing. What I should do is to search for new
crystallisation conditions (which I won't do: trypanosome means no-one will
provide any
funding for the project nowadays).

So if you do not get any crystals from your derivatized protein starting from
the crystallisation conditions of your native protein, then you must start a
new crystallisation
screening process right from the start. Remember that introducing Se-Mets can
change the surface of your protein; it can also introduce an equilibrium
between several
forms of the protein, whereas you only had one form for the native enzyme - so
you may need to try to purify (rapidly) further. If this de novo
crystallisation fails, then
you need to try alternative phasing methods (such as heavy atom soaks or
co-crystallisation with heavy atoms).

Fred.