Again, the method described by Gill & von Hippel is based on statistical
averages. Mach et al. (Anal. Biochem. 1992, 200, 74) later revised these
values. Pace et al. (Protein Science, 1995, 4, 2411) again re-determined these
averages, so if anything, the values from Pace should be used. Pace also refers
back to the Edelhoch method as the most reliable method.

Here is the abstract from Pace's paper:

The molar absorption coefficient, epsilon, of a protein is usually based on
concentrations measured by dry weight, nitrogen, or amino acid analysis. The
studies reported here suggest that the Edelhoch method is the best method for
measuring epsilon for a protein. (This method is described by Gill and von
Hippel [1989, Anal Biochem 182:319- 3261 and is based on data from Edelhoch
[1967, Biochemistry 6:1948-19541.) The absorbance of a protein at 280 nm
depends on the content of Trp, Tyr, and cystine (disulfide bonds). The average
epsilon values for these chromophores in a sample of 18 well-characterized
proteins have been estimated, and the epsilon values in water, propanol, 6 M
guanidine hydrochloride (GdnHCI), and 8 M urea have been measured. For Trp, the
average epsilon  values for the proteins are less than the epsilon values
measured in any of the solvents. For Tyr, the average epsilon values for the
proteins are intermediate between those measured in 6 M GdnHCl and those
measured in propanol. Based on a sample of 116 measured epsilon values for 80
proteins, the epsilon at 280 nm of a folded protein in water, epsilon(280), can
best be predicted with this equation:

epsilon (280) M-1 cm-1 = (#Trp)(5,500) + (#Tyr)(1,490) + (#cystine)(125)

These epsilon(280) values are quite reliable for proteins containing Trp
residues, and less reliable for proteins that do not. However, the Edelhoch
method is convenient and accurate, and the best approach is to measure rather
than predict epsilon.

Cheers!
MM