On Jun 16, 2011, at 8:30 PM, Dima Klenchin wrote:

You recommended "determining extinction coefficients experimentally". How is
plugging number of specific residues into a formula constitute experimental
determination?

That is a deeply philosophical question!

Eventually, you'll be plugging in numbers into a formula in any method. At
least, the Edelhoch method requires you to do an experiment, whereas Gill & von
Hippel and Pace et al. don't. Ultimately, though, all these methods are based
on experiments that someone somewhere executed.

Nothing beats quantitative amino acid determination but it's one technique that
requires specialized lab and good standartization. By now, it's almost a lost
art.

The distinction that I am trying to make, and that I am apparently having
trouble conveying, is that the "theoretical" methods presented by Gill & von
Hippel and Pace et al. are based on statistical averages and thus may or may
not be valid for a given protein, whereas the Edelhoch method is specific to a
given protein and has been shown by Pace at al. to be the most accurate method
(more accurate than quantitative amino acid determination, even when using a
specialized lab and good standardization.

Three times the charm.