Dear ccp4bb,

One of my colleagues is interested in how a certain protein differs between
species. He's done a blast search, collected all the aligned sequences, and
"emailed them to the crystallographer to tell him the implications of the
sequence changes".

Although I am not at all confident that I can predict any implications based
upon sequence differences, I thought I could at least have a try by mapping the
different species sequences onto the existing structure and then regularising
it just to see what happens (and then perhaps looking at buried surface area,
electrostatics, subunit interfaces etc.).

I know the program chainsaw can mutate the sequence based on an alignment,
however I can't stop it pruning non-conserved residues. Does anyone know of
another program that I could use to do this step?

Similarly if anyone knows other software tools/methods I could use to try and
work out the implications of sequence changes I would be grateful for advice.

Thanks,

Simon