I never used pET20b, but  I found on the Internet that it expresses inserts
constitutively. Since the cloned protease should be toxic to cells, its
constitutive expression might prevent the formation of colonies.  But there
might be millions of other reasons.  Why did you use pET20b?

http://www.biovisualtech.com/bvplasmid/pET-20b%28+%29.htm

Alex