You are right that refining occupancy and B  value at the same time cant
be done with REFMAC, and probably wouldnt work anyway at 2.9A

However, if you set the ligand occupancy to 0.7 say, and refine the
residue B factors, the occupancy should not be set back to 1.0. It
certainly isnt in the local version of REFMAC.
You can judge to some extent what occupancy gives the cleanest map by
inspection.
But at 2.9A the correlation between B and occupancy is very high and it
wilnswer. l be hard to get a definitive answer.
Eleanor