I suppose observations from the same unmerged hkl (also known as a
"relp") are independent in some ways, but not in others.  For example,
partials of the same relp are independent with respect to
photon-counting noise, detector read-out noise, flicker in the source,
and most types of shutter jitter and sample vibration, but not
independent when it comes to other kinds of error, like detector pixel
calibration and "absorption errors". Depending on which of these
sources of error dominates, a given pair of observations may or may
not be independent.  With CuKa radiation, "absorption errors" usually
dominate, so I suppose it does make sense to treat partials of the
same relp as non-independent observations.  However, I think it is
important that at ~1 A, absorption errors are much smaller.  Perhaps a
better name for "absorption errors" is "differential attenuation",
since they arise not from absorption itself, but rather the difference
in Beer's-law attenuation along two different paths taken by the
x-rays through the crystal and out to two different spots.  For
example, an extra 100 um of water or protein along one path vs another
will create a 10% difference in spot intensities with a CuKa
radiation, but less than 3% with 1 A x-rays.  Scaling programs attempt
to correct for this, but depending on how "crazy" the
crystal/drop/loop/etc. shape is, they may or may not be able to do it
perfectly.  It is also hard to calibrate a detector to better than a
few percent, but that is a very long story.

Of course, errors of a few percent will never be important for
refinement, where the model-data systematic error (Rcryst/Rfree > 15%)
dominates.  But for anomalous differences a few percent is the
magnitude of the signal you are trying to measure!  So, it can be easy
to convince SCALA (and indeed oneself) that you are getting good
signal-to-noise (DANO/SIGDANO), even if you're not.  This is
especially true if you measure the same phi range over and over again.
For example, if you average n=100 "observations", each with sigma =
1.0, then you usually assign a sigma to the average value that is
1/sqrt(n) smaller, or 0.1.  This is why the signal to noise ratio
improves with averaging.  Or, at least, we think it does.  If the
"error" in all 100 observations is a systematic shift in the same
direction, then the true "error" of the average is not 0.1, but
actually closer to 1.0.

My point is, "multiplicity" is not the whole story.  It really comes
down to the sigmas and how realistic they actually are.  You never
know, the extra measurements in your high-multiplicity dataset might
really be "redundant".

-James Holton
MAD Scientist