On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 12:33:09 pm Garib N Murshudov wrote:
> In the limit yes. however limit is when we do not have solution, i.e. when
> model errors are very large.  In the limit map coefficients will be 0 even
> for 2mFo-DFc maps. In refinement we have some model. At the moment we have
> choice between 0 and DFc. 0 is not the best estimate as Ed rightly points
> out. We replace (I am sorry for self promotion, nevertheless: Murshudov et
> al, 1997) "absent" reflection with DFc, but it introduces bias. Bias becomes
> stronger as the number of "absent" reflections become larger. We need better
> way of estimating "unobserved" reflections. In statistics there are few
> appraoches. None of them is full proof, all of them are computationally
> expensive. One of the techniques is called multiple imputation.

I don't quite follow how one would generate multiple imputations in this case.

Would this be equivalent to generating a map from (Nobs - N) refls, then
filling in F_estimate for those N refls by back-transforming the map?
Sort of like phase extension, except generating new Fs rather than new phases?

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg