On 19/10/11 9:19 PM, "eugene.krissi...@stfc.ac.uk"
<eugene.krissi...@stfc.ac.uk> wrote:

>In case when ASU has the same multiplicity (number of chains) as the
>probable biological assembly, the latter is an ASU as well. In such a
>case, the PDB suggests to choose ASU in the form of that assembly, purely
>for simplicity. It seems to me that this is not an unreasonable
>suggestion and it would be nice if that were a common practice.

Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying Eugene, but the ASU
interface may not necessarily be the biological interface. I think it is
perfectly possible that two subunits in a biological dimer, for example,
may be related by crystallographic axis, but the NCS may be a different
non-physiological crystal contact, therefore the ASU won't be the same as
the biological dimer. So I am not sure if the above applies in general.

Bostjan

Bostjan Kobe
NHMRC Research Fellow
Professor of Structural Biology
School of Chemistry and Molecular Biosciences

and Institute for Molecular Bioscience (Division of Chemistry and
Structural Biology) and Centre for Infectious Disease Research

Cooper Road
University of Queensland
Brisbane, Queensland 4072
Australia
Phone: +61 7 3365 2132
Fax: +61 7 3365 4699
E-mail: b.k...@uq.edu.au
Office: Building 76 Room 329
Notice: If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please notify me, and do
not make any use of its contents. I do not waive any privilege,
confidentiality or copyright associated with it. Unless stated otherwise,
this e-mail represents only the views of the Sender and not the views of
The University of Queensland.