I tried looking for such "evil symmetry problem" examples some time ago, only to find that primitive monoclinic with a 90-degree beta angle is much more rare than one might think by looking at the PDB. About 1/3 of them are in the wrong space group.

Indeed, there are at least 366 PDB entries that claim "P2-ish", but POINTLESS thinks the space group of the deposited data is higher (PG222, C2, P6, etc.). Now, POINTLESS can be fooled by twinned data, but at least 286 of these entries do not mention twinning. Of these, 40 explicitly list NCS operators (not sure if the others used NCS?), and 35 of those were both solved by molecular replacement an explicitly say the free-R set was picked at random. These are:

Now, I'm sure there is an explanation for each and every one of these. But in the hands of a novice, such cases could easily result in a completely wrong structure giving a perfectly reasonable Rfree. This would happen if you started with, say, a wrong MR solution, but picked your random Rfree set in PG2 and then applied "NCS". Then each of your "free" hkls would actually be NCS-restrained to be the same as a member of the working set. However, I'm sure everyone who reads the CCP4BB already knew that. Perhaps because a discerning peer-reviewer, PDB annotator or some clever feature in our modern bullet-proof crystallographic software caught such a mistake for them. (Ahem)

Of course, what Graeme is asking for is the opposite of this: data that would appear as "nearly" PG222, but was actually lower symmetry. Unfortunately, there is no way to identify such cases from deposited Fs alone, as they will have been overmerged. In fact, I did once see a talk where someone managed to hammer an NCS 7-fold into a crystallographic 2-fold by doing some aggressive "outlier rejection" in scaling. Can't remember if that ever got published...

-James Holton
MAD Scientist