        From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On
Behalf Of Jayakrishnan Nandakumar
        Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 12:26 AM
        To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
        Subject: [ccp4bb] Crystallizing protein sitting in PBS

        Hi All,
        I have an RNA-binding protein that I can purify out of bacteria
in PBS (Phosphate buffered saline;137 mM NaCl, 2.7 mM KCl, 10 mM
Na2HPO4, 2 mM KH2PO4), but which is insoluble in Tris/NaCl-based
buffers. My guess would be that the inorganic phosphates (by mimicking
RNA) are binding the protein to keep it in solution. My question is
whether I can leave the protein in a phosphate-based buffer (at lower
salt maybe) to set up crystallization trials or are PBS-based buffers
not suitable for crystallization in general. I have always used
Tris/NaCl based buffers in the past.

        Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
        Regards,
        JK