I've seen this happening to water molecules as well (in a somewhat
unpredictable fashion).  In the latest refmac versions, you can try
harmonic restraints, although these will only slow down the atom drift,
as the target position is updated every cycle.

Perhaps you can use distance restraints against a dummy atom to fix the
metal ion in place.

Another remedy might be to manually place the metal ion in position
followed by zero cycles of refinement to get the final R-values.  There
is some evidence that excluding isolated atoms from refinement may
introduce some systematic error on the rest of the structure, but it is
likely very small.

Cheers,

Ed.