Pete brings out two concerns: [1] B-factor refinement being stable, [2]
over-fitting at low resolutions.  Here I'll suggest low resolution to be in the
3-4A range.

I've seen the following question asked:  At what resolution is
(individual,group,one per residue, two per residue,overall) appropriate?

One common response is "try a number of different B-factor refinement
protocols, use Rfree as a guide to determine which one is appropriate".  I
guess this is along the lines of "B-factor refinement being stable". Seems
reasonable to me.

However is this approach sufficient justification to address "over-fitting at
low resolution"?

I'd welcome any thoughts on this ...

On Jan 6, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Pete Meyer wrote:

> B-factor refinement being stable is one thing; quieting my paranoia regarding
> over-fitting at low resolutions is another.
>
> Thanks for pointing this out to me - I'll have to check out the details of
> how phenix handles it, and give it a try.
>
> Pete

Francis E. Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder