I'm sad to think that scientists may not 'bother' to use the CSD system 'just'
to check the geometry of small molecule ligands, as they may, of course, be the
main focus of the study, or the focus of subsequent researchers who use the
structures. Moreover, comparison of small molecule and protein-bound ligand
structures can be most revealing.

In answer to your question of access, the vast majority of research
universities in the world (with a chemistry department) already have access to
the CSD. In fact it is available in 72 counties, to scientists in around 1,500
institutions. The problem you highlight is that it's quite common for
scientists not to realise that another department, or their institutions
library, already provide access to the CSD system. I'll reply to any off-board
emails should folks want to know who their local contact is.

In terms of affordability, the CSD system is maintained by the Cambridge
Crystallographic Data Centre, which is a non-profit, charitable organisation.
It is available at below cost to academics. Anyone who genuinely cannot afford
the modest charge, which is used for the ongoing funding of the CSD, is of
course given free access. The CSD and other chemistry databases are also freely
available to UK researchers through the excellent (EPSRC funded) Chemical
Database Service operated from Daresbury.

You're right that the CCDC:PDB collaboration to develop on-line tools check
ligands and generate dictionaries 'is great'- and Gerard might let us know how
he's getting on?

Colin

Dr Colin R Groom                        Email:          gr...@ccdc.cam.ac.uk
Executive Director                      Phone-direct:   +44-(0)1223-336020
Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre  Phone-messages: +44-(0)1223-336408
12 Union Road                           FAX:            +44-(0)1223-336033
Cambridge CB2 1EZ, UK                   Website:
http://www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk