Thanks Colin! I was also going to mention the Chemical Database Service,
available to UK academics.

Their website is http://cds.dl.ac.uk/
In fact, the very nice and friendly CDS guys are just across the
corridor from me, so please let me know if you have problems/questions.

Cheers
Martyn

On Tue, 2012-01-10 at 12:53 +0000, Colin Groom wrote:
> I'm sad to think that scientists may not 'bother' to use the CSD
> system 'just' to check the geometry of small molecule ligands, as they
> may, of course, be the main focus of the study, or the focus of
> subsequent researchers who use the structures. Moreover, comparison of
> small molecule and protein-bound ligand structures can be most
> revealing.
>
> In answer to your question of access, the vast majority of research
> universities in the world (with a chemistry department) already have
> access to the CSD. In fact it is available in 72 counties, to
> scientists in around 1,500 institutions. The problem you highlight is
> that it's quite common for scientists not to realise that another
> department, or their institutions library, already provide access to
> the CSD system. I'll reply to any off-board emails should folks want
> to know who their local contact is.
>
> In terms of affordability, the CSD system is maintained by the
> Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre, which is a non-profit,
> charitable organisation. It is available at below cost to academics.
> Anyone who genuinely cannot afford the modest charge, which is used
> for the ongoing funding of the CSD, is of course given free access.
> The CSD and other chemistry databases are also freely available to UK
> researchers through the excellent (EPSRC funded) Chemical Database
> Service operated from Daresbury.
>
> You're right that the CCDC:PDB collaboration to develop on-line tools
> check ligands and generate dictionaries 'is great'- and Gerard might
> let us know how he's getting on?
>
> Colin
>
> Dr Colin R Groom
> Email:          gr...@ccdc.cam.ac.uk
> Executive Director
> Phone-direct:   +44-(0)1223-336020
> Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre
> Phone-messages: +44-(0)1223-336408
> 12 Union
> Road                           FAX:            +44-(0)1223-336033
> Cambridge CB2 1EZ, UK                   Website:
> http://www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk

*               Dr. Martyn Winn                                       *
*   STFC Daresbury Laboratory, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4AD, U.K.   *
*   Tel: +44 1925 603455    E-mail: martyn.w...@stfc.ac.uk            *
*   Fax: +44 1925 603634    Skype name: martyn.winn                   *
*             URL: http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/martyn/                      *