The diffraction pattern we see results from the convolution of the
crystal lattice with the fourier transform of the electron density, as
I understand it. I guess I am interested in seeing the unconvoluted
transform of the electron density, just to get a feeling for what the
characteristics of those transforms are. As I put it in a previous
message, I am curious what the diffraction would look like from a
theoretical radiation-damage-impervious single molecule of either
protein or nucleic acid. I suspect that for nucleic acids one would
see the stacked bases a la Rosalind Franklin's fiber diffraction
images, and perhaps other interesting features. Maybe there would be a
powder-diffraction-like ring for CC and CN bond lengths? Anyway, I
guess the goal would be to see whether one could find any other
relationships like phase triplets etc.

Jacob