On 1/12/12 9:42 AM, Ed Pozharski wrote:
On Thu, 2012-01-12 at 09:52 +0000, Patel, Joe wrote:
Do you have ultra-high resolution? Something I did not….  Are there
many examples in the pdb of proteins with Li+ refined?
http://www.ebi.ac.uk/thornton-srv/databases/cgi-bin/pdbsum/GetPage.pl?pdbcode=n/a&template=het2pdb.html&param1=_LI

39 in total. Some are fairly low resolution (2.8A), and only five are
higher than 1.2A.  I'd think that placing lithium ion should be based on
some extra-crystallographic evidence, plus maybe some structural
considerations such as correctly placed coordinating ligands.

Since I'm responsible for eight of those structures, I'll just say that I thought fairly hard before building a lithium into that peak, knowing that I couldn't really distinguish it from water or sodium. I was working with a 1.7 A map, and I put the lithium there based on three criteria:

- the crystals grew in something like 2 M lithium sulfate, whereas the only source of sodium would have been from the buffer or the protein solution

- there were two negatively charged residues coordinating the peak in question, suggesting it was a cation

- the bond distances were consistent with lithium coordination, for what that's worth at this resolution

That was the first structure (1TW7), and all of the others were treated the same since it was the same crystals soaked with different compounds in the same conditions.

- Matt

--
Matthew Franklin, Ph. D.
Senior Research Scientist