*Postdoctoral Fellowships: Structural Biology / Molecular machines in protein targeting and ribosome biogenesis*

The lab of Prof. Irmi Sinning at the Biochemistry Center (BZH) of Heidelberg University seeks to recruit 4 outstanding postdoctoral researchers for a period of 2--5 years.

BZH is a leading research center with a collaborative and interdisciplinary atmosphere. Prof. Sinning is an investigator of the Cluster of Excellence:Cellnetworks (http://www.cellnetworks.uni-hd.de/) and studies molecular machines involved in cellular key processes using structural biology (http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/zentral/bzh/).

We are interested in co- or post-translational protein targeting pathways, membrane protein biogenesis and ribosome associated enzymes and chaperones. Together with the team of Prof. Ed Hurt (http://www.uni-heidelberg.de/zentral/bzh/) we currently develop a strong interest in the structural framework of ribosome biogenesis. The successful candidates will be encouraged to pursue these projects well integrated into a highly collaborative team of researchers.

Depending on previous experience and scientific interest, the projects will involve a combination of advanced techniques in structural biology (mainly X-ray crystallography, SAXS), biochemistry, biophysics (ITC, SLS, fluorescence spectroscopy, HX-MS), and/or molecular cell biology. We routinely exploit the genome of a thermophilic fungus for structural studies; for protein crystallization we are equipped with a crystallization platform (http://xtals.bzh.uni-heidelberg.de/) and we have steady access to major European synchrotron high brilliance X-ray sources.

Qualifications and experience:

We are seeking skilled and passionate biochemists/structural biologists who are enthusiastic to venture into this area of research. You will join an energetic team in the resourceful environment of BZH, surrounded by world-class scientists from a wide variety of fields. Applicants should hold a Ph.D. in structural biology, biochemistry, biophysics, or in a closely related area. Research experience in structural biology, biochemistry, biophysics or molecular cell biology is desired. Good knowledge of standard cloning techniques, protein expression and purification is required, and experience in structural biology on macromolecular complexes is a plus. The ability to work independently as well as in a team, good communication skills, and excellent knowledge of English are also essential.

Documents:

Please submit a pdf file with the following information: a cover letter describing your motivation and experience, a scientific CV including a list of your publications, and the names and contact information of 3 referees.

Address for application: irmi.sinn...@bzh.uni-heidelberg.de

Contract: 2 -- 5 years (extension possible); starting date: as soon as possible.

Applications will be considered until the positions are filled.

Best regards,

Irmi Sinning

Prof. Dr. Irmi Sinning

Dept. of Structural Biology

Heidelberg University Biochemistry Center

INF 328

69120 Heidelberg, Germany