We prefer to do MEGAWHOP PCR and use 1-5 uL of the DPN digested PCR
product. This is extremely reliable with commercial competent cells.  See
http://capsicum.colgate.edu/chwiki/tiki-index.php?page=Recombinant+DNA+Protocols#Site_directed_mutagenesis_by_Megaprimer_Quick_Change_MEGAWHOP_PCRfor
details. Allow 1 min/KB each cycle for whole plasmid PCR extension.

Roger Rowlett