Since I was the person who started "a public outcry to "do something"", I shell
explain myself to my critics. Similarly to all of you, I do not care much about
those few instances of structure fabrication. I might put too much emphases on
them to initiate the discussion, but they are, indeed, only tiny blips on the
ocean of science. But, could they be tips of a huge iceberg? That was my
concern. I believe that an enormous competition in science that we experience
nowadays  makes many of us desperate, and desperation forces people to cheat.
Is current validation system at PDB good enough to catch various aspects of
data cheating? Is there a simple but efficient way to make it more difficult
and, hence, less desirable?

Good sportsmen (in terms of sport abilities) sometimes get caught with taking
performance enhancers. I bet everyone would do it if the drug control did not
exist. Many sportsmen would do it against their will, just because there was no
other way to win. Do not you think a similar situation can develop in science?

> I suppose as social animals we like to think we can trust and be trusted
Well, I suppose that these two antagonistic abilities of social animals (trust
and cheating) developed in parallel as means to promote the evolution. In a
very hierarchical society with no legal means to change a social status,
cheating has been an important tool to contribute ones genes to a society. The
socially unjust societies still exist and their members may have a slightly
different view on morality of cheating than those from just societies.
Moreover, ability to cheat often correlates with the intellect. Could not it be
called cheating when someone is told to do something in one way, but he does it
in his own way, because he believes it is more efficient? When a scientist
feels that he is right about validity of his results, but they do not look good
enough to be "sold" to validators, he is supposed to do more research. But he
is out of time, why not to hide weak spots of the work if he knows that the
major conclusions are RIGHT? Even if someone will redo the work later, they
will be reproduced, right? In my opinion, this is the major motif for cheating
in science.

What I suggested with respect to the PDB data validation was adding some
additional information that would allow to independently validate such
parameters as the resolution and data quality (catching of model fabrications
would be a byproduct of this process). Does the current system allow to
overestimate those parameters? I believe so (but I might be wrong, correct
me!). Periodically, people ask at ccp4bb how to determine the resolution of
their data, but some "idiots" may decide to do it on their own and add 30% of
noise to their structural factors. As James mentioned, one does not need to be
extremely smart to do so, moreover, such an "idiot" would have less restraints
than an educated crystallographer, because the "idiot" believes that nobody
would notice his cheating. His moral principles are not corrupted, because he
thinks that the model is correct and no harm is done. But the harm is still
there, because people are forced to believe the model more than it deserves.

The question is still open to me about what percentage of PDB structures
overestimates data quality in terms of resolution. Is it possible to make it
less dependent on the opinion of persons submitting the data? We all have so
different opinions about everything...

People invented laws to create conditions when they can trust each other.
Sociopaths who do not follow the rules get caught and excluded from a society,
which maintains the trust. But when the trust is abused, it quickly disappears.
Many of those who wrote on the matter expressed a strong opinion that the
system is not broken and we should continue trusting each other. Great! I do
not mind the status quo.

Regards,
Alex Aleshin