When I hear of a reviewer holding up a publication and then publishing
something similar, my first reaction is fury and I feel the case should be
investigated and this immoral individual should be exposed.  However I can
see that there are many shades of gray here.  We're all biased in that we
tend to ignore information that conflicts with our previous cherished
beliefs and focus on things that confirm them.  So it can take a long time
to change your mind - sometimes months.  This can lead to indecision and
delays, but in retrospect we tend to think that we would have come to those
conclusions in any case so there's no harm in using the info.

People with a strong sense of duty will get the review done quickly and
make sure that they don't take advantage of the data, but I can see that it
can be tempting.

I think the idea of getting reviewers to sign a piece of paper saying that
there is no immediate conflict of interest i.e. they are not about to
publish something similar, is a good one.  The author could prepare simple
statement describing the topics covered (not the abstract which gives, or
should give, the conclusions).  Then it's not a matter of proving that the
reviewer cheated, only that they had the opportunity to cheat.

I always communicate freely with the editors, e.g. telling them why I don't
want such-and-such to review the paper.  Wouldn't it be possible simply to
ask the editor to check that the reviewer asking for co-ordinates etc is
not close to publishing something that could benefit from the data?

I don't think it's a good idea for reviewers' names to be visible because
that would mean that we would all have to do a far more professional job of
the review.  (I'm not a career scientist but I've been asked to review a
few papers.)

I also agree with those who say that this competitive focus on high impact
journals etc. stifles creativity, is inefficient and gives poor value for
money.

Just some thoughts - probably stating the obvious

Patrick

--
 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 Douglas House, East Garston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG17 7HD, UK

 http://www.douglas.co.uk
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36