Dear Colleagues,
I have followed this thread with great interest. It reminds me of the Open
Commission Meeting of the Biological Macromolecules Commission in Geneva in
2002 at the IUCr Congress. Ie at which it was concluded that protein
coordinates and diffraction data would not be provided to referees.

The ethics and rights of readers, authors and referees is a balancing act, as
Jeremy and others have emphasised these different constituency's views.

The aim of this email though is to draw your attention to the Committee on
Publication Ethics (COPE) work and case studies, which are extensive. Ie see:-

http://publicationethics.org/

The COPE Forum will also provide advice on case submissions that are made of
alleged publication malpractice, various of which are quite subtle. The
processes as well though following on from obvious malpractice eg how a
university research malpractice committee can be convened are also detailed.

Greetings,
John

Prof John R Helliwell DSc