Hi Chen,

I see your point now. Yes, I agree that the 80:20 method (or 75:25 as stated in the paper, http://www.mail-archive.com/ccp4bb@dl.ac.uk/msg01063.html) is a very useful technique. The fact that it does not take much effort or lead to uncertainties makes it very worth trying.

Here I add my two cents: when performing such optimizations, try both seeding and no-seeding if quantity of protein permits. If protein quantity is limited and the crystals are reluctant to appear under the original condition, then seeding is always a good idea.

Zhijie

From: "chen c" <chenc...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:09 PM
To: "Zhijie Li" <zhijie...@utoronto.ca>
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Anisotropic diffraction

I accept your advice. In fact, this is the first time I am involved in
anisotropic issue. And I learned a lot from all the above discussion.

However, the 80:20 optimization method(an example of "long-tail
theory") rather than surface mutation is what I want to emphasis in my
last email. As illustrated in the attached pdf, it defenitely deserve
a try. One more thing to mention is that this very 80:20 method can be
very versatile and  useful in optimising macromolecular crystals in
case of issues more than anistropic problem.

best regards
chen