For large copy number MR solutions, we have found that EPMR is a good alternative to Phaser when the latter doesn't find a solution. However, we also have noted in some experimental testing that both Phaser and EPMR have some difficulties with copy numbers greater than 4-6. Another alternative, if you have lots of patience, is Queen of Spades. It can sometimes place large numbers of models in the ASU at the cost of a loooooooooong wait. But a CS collaborator and I found that genetic algorithms (e.g. EPMR) were pretty efficient at large copy number searches.

If you can place a handful of protein chains in the ASU, you might be able to get away with searching with some dimer or tetramer units from that partial solution. That's what I wound up doing with a 6-chains-per-ASU problem a few years ago (PDB 2A8D). The 3-dimer search in EPMR worked like a charm, whereas the 6-monomer search was hopeless at the time.

Cheers,

_______________________________________
Roger S. Rowlett
Gordon & Dorothy Kline Professor