Hi there,

I am not certain that the thread is "P321 space group reindex problem" any more.

But: trigonal (and hexagonal) space groups "are" (usually?) polar. The cell axis "c" can go "up" or can go "down", and in order to get a consistent indexing you need to check both indexing systems when you scale additional data to your native (the indexing chosen by your first crystals defines the "standard" indexing - I must say that I haven't checked in the drawings of the international tables if having c going up or going down leads to a difference in that particular space group, P321, I'd need to draw both possibilities and check but I'm sorry I do not have the time right now - in fact it's too bad that the International Tables do not indicate "Polar" or "Non-polar").

For practical purposes, a "derivative" is considered non isomorphous when the differences in unit cell parameters exceed ca. 1% (this is because if you take 2 crystals from the same crystallisation drop and collect and process diffraction crystals from these 2 crystals, you will never get exactly the very same values for the unit cell parameters; non-isomorphism effects start at ca. 1% change and you'll never get 2 perfectly isomorphous crystals - even if you collect diffraction data twice from the same crystals you will not get "perfect isomorphism").

From the values mentioned, 1% of the cell parameters of the native for a and b is 1.81 Angstroem and for c 1.1 Angstroem (the angles do not matter for a trigonal space group).

Had you obtained a value for a, b larger than ca. 183 Angstroem, or below ca. 109.2 Angstroem (only in the direction indicated by the changes mentioned in your mail - I ignored changes in the opposite direction) then you would have been able to say that the crystals were non-isomorphous to each other. For me they are isomorphous to each other and I ignore these small differences in unit cell parameters.

The difference of 3% in Rfactor (I suppose this is |FP - FPH| / |FP|, no "Sigma" character on my keyboard to indicate the summations over h k l) is I think due to 2 different chemicals (heavy-atom compounds) in derivative 1 and derivative 2. Differences in R-factors at low resolutions are often associated with "solvent effects", and I think you will have 2 different mother liquors and hence 2 different solvents in derivative 1 and in derivative 2. That is assuming that derivative 1 and derivative 2 were prepared using 2 different chemicals. And typically low-resolution data (below 15 Angstroem resolution or so) is kept out during phasing by the MIR method.

To locate the heavy atom constellations in the 2 derivatives, you could compute and interpret difference Patterson maps - including automated interpretation, vector search and the likes -, you could use "direct methods" (the heavy atom constellation is similar to a small molecule because there are far fewer atoms there than in the full macromolecule, and direct methods work extremely well for small molecules - you would need to use the isomorphous differences in order to use direct methods; no mention is made of any anomalous signal so I do not know if you could this as well).

HTH,

Fred.

Qixu Cai wrote:
Why the 29% Rfactor indicate the derivatives are not isomorphous to native dataset?

Native dataset cell constant: 181.39 181.39 110.217 90 90 120
derivative1 cell constant: 181.909 181.909 109.62 90 90 120 Rfactor to native: 26% derivative2 cell constant: 181.527 181.527 109.32 90 90 120 Rfactor to native: 29%

The Rfactor at low resolution is larger than in high resolution.

Could you please to help me figure out where the heavy atoms had been soaked into the crystal?

Thank you very much.

Best wishe,

Qixu Cai