Hello Fred

On 30 May 2012 07:55, Vellieux Frederic <frederic.velli...@ibs.fr> wrote:
> Hi there,

> But: trigonal (and hexagonal) space groups "are" (usually?) polar. The cell
> axis "c"  can go "up" or can go "down", and in order to get a consistent
> indexing you need to check both indexing systems when you scale additional
> data to your native (the indexing chosen by your first crystals defines the
> "standard" indexing - I must say that I haven't checked in the drawings of
> the international tables if having c going up or going down leads to a
> difference in that particular space group, P321, I'd need to draw both
> possibilities and check but I'm sorry I do not have the time right now - in
> fact it's too bad that the International Tables do not indicate "Polar" or
> "Non-polar").

It does, at least my edition (Vol. A: 5th ed., 2002, Table 10.2.1.2,
p.806) does - ITC has everything you need to know about space groups
(and a lot more besides)!

See also this table that I made where all polar & non-polar SGs are
listed individually:

http://www.ccp4.ac.uk/dist/html/alternate_origins.html

Counting only the non-enantiomorphic ones, PG3 (4 SGs) and PG6 (6 SGs)
are polar, whereas PG321 (3 SGs), PG312 (3 SGs), PG32 (1 SG) and PG622
(6 SGs) are non-polar.  So in all 10 are polar and 13 are non-polar.
A 2-fold axis perp to another axis always implies that there's no
preferred direction along the other axis, so it's non-polar.

Cheers

-- Ian