if this is the first (or second, or third) time you do a DALI search, take the list output from DALI, start from the top and superpose each structure with yours and look at the superpositions with your favourite superposition software. This is very educational and the only way you get a feeling for what numbers mean.

Quoting Jerry McCully:

Dear ALL;

After we solved our structure by anomalous scattering, we did a DALI search. Here are the results but it is not easy to draw meaningful conclusions whether our structure represents a novel fold or is homologous to others.

Basically the Z-score is between 2 and 6.4 since our structure only contains 130 residues. Sequence identity is between 5 to 15%.

       The RMSD of structural alignment is between 2.5 to 6 angstrom.

       Any suggests to interpret the DALI results? Many thanks,

Jerry McCully

Mark J van Raaij
Laboratorio M-4
Dpto de Estructura de Macromoléculas
Centro Nacional de BiotecnologĂ­a - CSIC
c/Darwin 3, Campus Cantoblanco
28049 Madrid
tel. 91 585 4616
email: mjvanra...@cnb.csic.es