On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 02:29:13 pm Jerry McCully wrote:

> Dear ALL;
>
>         After we solved our structure by anomalous scattering, we did a DALI
> search. Here are the results but it is not easy to draw meaningful
> conclusions whether our structure represents a novel fold or is homologous to
> others.

I don't think the question "is it homologous" can ever be answered by
a DALI score, whether it is high or low.  For that you need to think
about sequence families, inferred evolutionary history, shared function,
etc.

If your structure has a biological function related to that of your DALI
hit, I'd be inclined to consider seriously whether they could be distant
homologs.  If not, I doubt you will convince anyone based only on a
vaguely similar fold.

A sequence identity of 15% is really low, but that is presumeably only
a pairwise comparison.  You should try PSIBLAST or similar to see if
both your protein and the DALI hit are recognizably members of the
same sequence family or superfamily.

        Ethan

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg