Hi Bernhard -

Having the spots in regular lines indicates that this is a single crystal diffraction pattern (to a first approximation). I have seen ice rings which contain a few strong spots, probably from microcrystals of ice, but I haven't yet seen ice diffraction that shows a lattice of spots. So, the presence of the spot lattice, plus the spots below 3.9 A, allow one to say that this image isn't ice diffraction on top of weak/absent protein diffraction. Ergo, this crystal is not a macromolecule.

Plus, I was trying to show Zhao that the spots aren't just scattered at random.

- Matt

On 7/23/12 5:25 PM, Bernhard Rupp (Hofkristallrat a.D.) wrote:

> you'll see that some of them are arranged in regular lines.

I am not sure I understand what the line argument implies?

>indicates a very small unit cell, with dimensions probably < 10 A

Very indicative also the few strong and isolated high resolution reflections

Cheers, BR

--
Matthew Franklin, Ph. D.
Senior Scientist