From: Matthew Franklin [mailto:mfrank...@nysbc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2012 7:08 AM
To: b...@hofkristallamt.org
Cc: Bernhard Rupp (Hofkristallrat a.D.); CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Question about weird diffraction map

Hi Bernhard -

Having the spots in regular lines indicates that this is a single crystal
diffraction pattern (to a first approximation).  I have seen ice rings which
contain a few strong spots, probably from microcrystals of ice, but I
haven't yet seen ice diffraction that shows a lattice of spots.  So, the
presence of the spot lattice, plus the spots below 3.9 A, allow one to say
that this image isn't ice diffraction on top of weak/absent protein
diffraction.  Ergo, this crystal is not a macromolecule.

Plus, I was trying to show Zhao that the spots aren't just scattered at
random.

- Matt

On 7/23/12 5:25 PM, Bernhard Rupp (Hofkristallrat a.D.) wrote:

> you'll see that some of them are arranged in regular lines.

I am not sure I understand what the line argument implies?

>indicates a very small unit cell, with dimensions probably < 10 A

Very indicative also the few strong and isolated high resolution reflections

Cheers, BR

--
Matthew Franklin, Ph. D.
Senior Scientist