Evette,

I think the primary issue is what kind of analysis was being reported on.  That
is what I look for when I review a manuscript.  If the authors are doing a
broad structural analysis (homology of TIM barrels, X-ray refinement protocols,
etc.), I wouldn't expect citations beyond stating the PDB entries used.
However, if this was a primary structural analysis of a macromolecule, I would
expect that a discussion of the structural comparison would include references
to earlier work(s) on related molecules, but I have seen this happen where a
group reinvents the wheel (sometimes rather badly) because they don't take the
time to look at the literature, just a DALI run and a PDB search.  It is just
bad science not to discuss what earlier researchers have done to put your work
in context.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Michael

R. Michael Garavito, Ph.D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
603 Wilson Rd., Rm. 513
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48824-1319
Office:  (517) 355-9724     Lab:  (517) 353-9125
FAX:  (517) 353-9334        Email:  rmgarav...@gmail.com