Dear bb,

This morning as I scanned an accepted manuscript from a
well-respected-but-not-particularly-glamorous journal that publishes
many macromolecular structures, I came across a brief mention of
homology and rmsd with a published structure listed by PDB accession
number, but no citation of the primary reference for this structure.
(OK, so I wouldn't have noticed or cared had it not been one of mine.)
The paper did not have a lot of references, so it was not due to
limitation in the number of refs permitted.

I have always thought it a matter of professional courtesy to cite the
appropriate reference when one uses and mentions  a structure from the
PDB, but as I think back, I realize no one explicitly told me this-- it
is just an assumption that I made.  Maybe I am the one with unrealistic
expectations here?  Is there a general consensus among crystallographers
on this practice?

Thanks!
Evette

Evette S. Radisky, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Mayo Clinic Cancer Center
Griffin Cancer Research Building, Rm 310
4500 San Pablo Road
Jacksonville, FL 32224
(904) 953-6372