Hi Lorenzo,

If the structure for your receptor is unknown, then you can use Homology
Modeling methods to get a rough idea of the structure, MODELLER is a well know
tool for this (http://salilab.org/modeller/). Of course depending on your %
similarity to the template, the higher the % similarity, the more reliable your
structure may be (of course assuming there are no major conformational changes,
etc.)

Now, to figure out the sites of interaction, you could use a shape based
complementarity approach like the one used in the ZDOCK algorithm
(http://zdock.umassmed.edu/software/). This gets to be a little bit trickier if
your % similarity to your template is low, because the dissimilarity is often
due to surface residue differences, which are obviously the ones you're
interested on. On the other hand, if the source of interaction is driven mainly
by hydrophobic forces, then an analysis using the spatial aggregation
propensity method
(http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp911706q?journalCode=jpcbfk) may reveal
interesting sites of aggregation. This method is a little bit more forgiving
that the shape complementarity one because of the intrinsic averaging that goes
on to determine the site of aggregation.

All of these methods and other simulations tools are available in the Discovery
Studio suite from Accelrys.

Disclaimer: I work for Accelrys as their Product Manager for the Life Science
Modeling and Simulations suite of products. So, if you're interested in
evaluating and gain access to these tools please contact me directly.

Kind regards,

Francisco
Sr. Product Manager
http://accelrys.com